Some links on Wikicat may are paid links may earn us a commission. Read the Affiliate Policy disclosure for more info.
Did you know that in the 80s a popular computer (Sinclair ZX Spectrum) was released that had a ROM of only 16 kilobytes?
Today, a single page text document weighs more than that.
Without a doubt, the storage capacity of today’s computers’ hard disks far exceeds that value, storing up to several terabytes.
Still, these large storage capacities may fall short of the needs of many users.
We are not only referring to those of photographers, producers, designers and gamers, but also to those of us who store photographs, videos, films and series in high definition on the computer.
Anyway, acquiring a 2 TB external hard drive can be beneficial and here we tell you why.
- 1 The most important
- 2 The best 2TB external hard drives on the market: our recommendations
- 3 Shopping Guide: What you need to know about 2 TB external hard drives
- 4 Purchase criteria
- 5 Summary
The most important
- External hard drives are portable storage units that connect to computers, televisions, mobile phones or cameras. Usually through USB ports to transmit and receive information.
- Today’s external hard drives are small, lightweight devices that you can take with you anywhere.
- Before you buy a 2 TB (terabyte) external hard drive, it is important that you are clear about how you will use it. You should also consider issues such as the maximum transfer speed supported, connectivity options, weight and size.
The best 2TB external hard drives on the market: our recommendations
There are some hard drives on the market that are more reliable than others.
We don’t say that, the ratings and opinions of their users do.
We analyze them carefully and find the best models available today.
Here is our selection:
- The favorite of online users.
- The best hard drive for PCs and game consoles.
- The best choice for gamers.
- The best external hard drive that is shockproof.
The online user's favourite
Western Digital (WD) offers excellent quality hard drives, and they are well known in the industry.
In addition to improving PC performance, this model features USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility.
Therefore, it will transfer your data really fast.
It is equipped with NTFS format, ideal for Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows 7.
However, if you have another operating system, or depending on your PC hardware, you will have to format it in order to use it.
Where to buy
The best hard drive for PCs and game consoles
Overall, this Toshiba hard disk drive is very easy to use.
Just connect it to either your PC or game console and it boots up automatically.
You still need to format the device to be recognized by your Mac or PC, as it comes in NTFS format from the factory.
The brand offers not only external hard drives with 2 TB capacity, but also 3 and 4 TB or just 500 GB (gigabyte).
All of them have USB 3.0 and 2.0 compatibility.
Where to buy
The best choice for gamers
Seagate is another well-known brand in the hard drive industry, especially for gamers.
This model has 2 TB, enough capacity to store about 34 games.
However, if you need more space, in the same offer you can choose a hard drive up to 10 TB.
Fortunately, most hard drives today are very simple to use.
Just plug it into the USB port and the PC will recognize it.
Where to buy
The best shockproof external hard drive
This Silicon Power hard drive comes pre-formatted as FAT32 so you can use it directly in Mac or Windows.
This model, for example, is 2 TB, but you can choose between 500 GB and 5 TB for your needs.
It is also ideal for video game consoles, especially for PS4 and Xbox.
What’s interesting is that it has military-grade shock-proof protection, so your data is safe.
Where to buy
Shopping Guide: What you need to know about 2 TB external hard drives
When buying a 2 TB external hard drive, it is essential that you consider some important issues.
Don’t forget that there are different models of 2 TB hard drives and that not all of them offer the same functions.
For this reason, in this section we propose to clarify the main doubts that may arise throughout the purchase process.
What are external hard drives?
External hard drives are portable storage units that connect to various devices.
Usually through USB ports to transmit and receive information.
In the case of 2 TB external hard disks, they have a storage capacity of 2000 gigabytes or 2*10¹² bytes.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a 2 TB external hard drive?
Having a large capacity external hard drive allows you to enjoy a number of advantages.
In the following table, we summarize the most important ones, along with their main disadvantages.
- They allow you to have a lot of extra storage capacity.
- They are very easy to transport.
- They take up very little space.
- They are very easy to use, you connect them to the equipment, and they are ready to work.
- In recent years, its price has dropped considerably.
- There are many models and designs.
- May requires an external power supply.
- If they are not of good quality, you can lose the information.
Why should I buy a 2 TB hard drive?
The reasons for buying a 2 TB hard disk are many and varied.
One of the most commons is to complement the storage capacity of a laptop or desktop computer.
In particular, many computers today have SSDs that are much faster, but have less storage capacity.
Many users need them to store their games, especially on Xbox One or PS4 consoles, which don’t have hard drives as big as PCs.
They are also frequently used to store large collections of photos and/or videos.
What else can I use my hard drive for?
External hard drives have a multitude of applications.
Some of them you may already know, others we have already mentioned in previous lines.
In any case, it is not superfluous to list their main uses.
- Make backups.
- Save and install PC, Xbox One or PS4 video games.
- Save series, movies or any other multimedia content.
- Transport large files and documents.
- Save photos and videos in high resolution.
- Expand the storage capacity of a laptop or desktop computer.
- Play media content by connecting to a TV, monitor or stereo system.
- Save files that are not commonly used.
How many movies or games can I store in 2 TB?
Logically, it is impossible to give an exact number of the movies or games that can be saved on a 2 TB hard drive, since not all require the same storage capacity.
However, as a guide and taking as a reference a game like Metro Exodus that occupies 59 GB, you could save about 34 games.
Similarly, taking as a reference a Blu-ray 4K Ultra HD movie with a size between 50 GB and 100 GB, you could save between 40 and 20 movies.
In the case of a Netflix movie with an average size of approximately 14 GB, the amount increases to about 140 movies.
Of course, if the resolution is Full HD, many more movies can be saved.
When it comes to purchasing a 2 TB hard drive, it is important that you consider a number of purchase criteria.
To make the choice easier for you, we have selected the ones that, in our opinion, are the most important.
- Use that you are going to give.
- Data transfer rate.
- Design, weight and dimensions.
- Initial Format.
- Multimedia capabilities.
What will you use it for?
It is essential that, first, you think about how you are going to use the hard drive.
If you need it to store important files and/or to make backups, you should choose a reliable one.
On the other hand, if you are going to carry it with you on a regular basis, you should choose a light, small and shock-resistant one.
For storing large files, such as video games, or for large video or photo collections, it is recommended that you choose one that ensures high data transfer speeds.
And, of course, if you want to play multimedia content from it, it’s important that it has the necessary firmware for this and an HDMI connection.
Data transfer rate
In mechanical hard disks, revolutions per minute are normally used to express speed.
In general, the standard value is 5400 rpm.
However, it is also quite common to find 7200 rpm external hard disks.
Some may even alternate the two values depending on the needs of the system.
Design, weight and dimensions
If you travel frequently and need to take your external hard drive with you, then you may want to choose a small, lightweight hard drive.
After all, these days, some of them fit in your pants pocket.
If you plan to use your external hard drive in a more or less fixed location, you can opt for a larger one.
However, in this case, you may want to pay some attention to the design.
Especially if it is going to take up a central space in the living room next to the TV.
For example, one hard drive that stands out for its sober design is the Toshiba Canvio Basics.
But if you’re one of those people who think there’s no such thing as a bad time, be sure to take a look at WD My Passport.
Although a variety of Wi-Fi enabled hard drive models are now available, they are most commonly connected via wired connections, as they are usually much faster and more stable.
In this sense, the most common connection interfaces are
- USB 2.0: This is an interface that is already a few years old, so the connection speeds it allows are lower, in the order of 35 MB/s (megabytes per second).
- USB 3.1 Gen 1 and Gen 2: With the USB 3.1 Gen 1 interface, which is the new name of the USB 3.0 of all life, theoretical speeds of up to 600 MB/s can be reached. With the USB 3.1 Gen 2 interface, which is the new designation of the previous USB 3.1, the maximum theoretical speeds permitted are 1.2 GB/s (gigabytes per second). However, you should be aware that in practice these speeds are greatly limited by factors such as the speed of the external hard drive or the computer itself.
- Thunderbolt (via USB Type-C): With this interface, speeds of up to 5 GB/s (gigabytes per second) are possible. This is a fairly common connection on
- Apple computers. However, at present, no commercial external hard drive comes even close to these speed values.
Currently, the initial format of the vast majority of external hard drives is NTFS.
It is a format that you can work with in absolute freedom on computers with Windows operating systems.
However, with Apple computers you will only be able to read files but, in no case, you will be able to write to the hard drive.
In that case, you have two options: either format the external hard drive in one of the following FAT32 or exFAT file systems or purchase one of the special editions for Mac.
Either way, formatting a hard drive from scratch is fairly simple and doesn’t require advanced computer skills.
If you want to use your external hard drive to play media content through a TV, monitor or even a stereo system, it’s essential to check what kind of files it can open and what codecs it supports.
And if you’re going to use it with a Smart TV, it’s better if it has an HDMI connection.
There is no doubt that we need more and more storage capacity to keep our files.
As a result, it is also increasingly necessary to conveniently supplement the internal hard drives and storage units of laptops, desktop computers or video game consoles.
However, choosing the right 2 TB external hard drive for this is not always an easy task.
You need to consider issues such as the maximum data transfer speed supported, the connectivity options it offers, its weight, its size, and above all, the use to which it will be put.
Finally, if you find this guide useful in your selection process, you can leave us a comment or share it through the different social networks.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.