Some links on Wikicat may are paid links may earn us a commission. Read the Affiliate Policy disclosure for more info.
Are you afraid every time you connect to the Internet?
You are not alone.
Cybersecurity is becoming a serious issue as we spend more time online.
And not from a single device, right?
Today most of us use smartphones, computers or tablets, simultaneously!
How can we protect our data, then?
Maybe it’s time to think about a VPN.
Virtual Private Network (VPN) services are one of the safest bets for those who value privacy above all else.
But what are they?
How do they work?
Don’t be overwhelmed by the technical name!
In this article we will go over all the basic points of VPNs so that you don’t have any doubts.
- 1 The most important
- 2 The best VPN services: our recommendations
- 3 VPN guide: What you should know about VPN services
- 3.1 What exactly is a VPN?
- 3.2 Why is it so convenient to have a VPN?
- 3.3 Why is it safer to have a VPN service?
- 3.4 What are the other benefits of a VPN besides security?
- 3.5 How is a VPN server configured?
- 3.6 Why are VPNs popular in telework contexts?
- 3.7 What does it mean for a VPN to have a zero record policy?
- 3.8 Is it true that having a VPN slows down the Internet?
- 3.9 What does it mean that the VPN uses split tunneling?
- 4 Purchase criteria
- 5 Summary
The most important
- A VPN or virtual private network is a technology that allows users to send and receive data over the Internet, a public network, as if it were private. This means you can maintain your anonymity and protect your personal data from external cyberattacks.
- Using a VPN also has other advantages that are very useful for users, such as access to content blocked by geography, achieving greater anonymity on the Internet and blocking advertising, among others. VPNs are also very popular for those who opt for teleworking.
- If you want to have an optimal VPN service, there are a number of criteria you should consider before subscribing to the service: the Internet speed provided, the guarantee of anonymity of the VPN server, the ease of configuration and compatibility with your operating system, among others.
The best VPN services: our recommendations
Having your own VPN is the first step towards a risk-free connection – and a safe way to access content that is usually out of your reach!
In the market you will see that different VPN services are offered with all kinds of conditions.
If you find it difficult to choose, take a look at the best options available.
- The most used VPN service.
- The VPN service you need to enjoy streaming.
- The VPN service with the best offers.
- The VPN service with the fastest servers.
- The VPN service with more servers.
The most used VPN service
This ExpressVPN service is one of the most contracted in the cyber world.
This is because they have very secure encryption systems that keep your data safe at all times.
In addition, they offer a variety of functions, such as access from all devices with the same account.
ExpressVPN offers its services worldwide, so geographic location will never be a problem.
It is a VPN for everyone, but particularly recommended for professionals who travel frequently and want to keep their online movements private.
The VPN service you need to enjoy streaming
You’ve probably planned to watch a movie or series, and when you’re about to play it, it indicates that it’s not available in your region.
Is there more frustration than that?
We’re happy to tell you that we found the VPN service that will help you avoid this problem.
Cyber Ghost has a system that tells you the VPNs for which regions are available for the content you’re looking for.
This service has been on the market for 15 years, which has given it the expertise to provide leak-proof privacy.
The VPN service with the best offers
If you are as concerned about finances as you are about the privacy of your data, then it is best to consider a quality service with good offers.
Therefore, we recommend you to try Surfshark, a company that has many plans at very affordable prices.
Surfshark offers protection for all types of devices with any operating system and in any browser.
If you don’t want to risk it at first, we suggest you start by using the 30-day free trial.
That way, you’ll have a few weeks to see if they offer everything you need.
The VPN service with the fastest servers
Hotspot Shield is a widely used VPN service worldwide.
It stands out because it has some of the fastest servers, which ensures a navigation free of long waits.
They also pride themselves on having a strict policy that guarantees that they will not store any of their users’ data.
This service has both smartphone and computer compatible applications.
It is very easy to use, has affordable prices, and they even give you a free month’s trial.
The VPN service with more servers
Having many servers available ensures that you will have good response speed and that you are covered anywhere in the world.
Therefore, we recommend the NordVPN VPN service, which has more than 5000 servers around the world.
NordVPN offers numerous plans with a wide price range, so there are options for everyone.
It is ideal to have in your home as well as for people who frequently connect to the Internet from public networks.
VPN guide: What you should know about VPN services
Subscribing to a VPN service is not a decision to be taken lightly.
Do you need to be an IT expert?
Not at all!
But it is necessary to be correctly informed about the advantages and benefits it brings to our daily connection.
In this section we will go through the most frequent doubts, so keep reading to know everything.
What exactly is a VPN?
A virtual private network (VPN) is a technology that allows users to send and receive data over shared or public networks as if their devices were connected to the private network.
This means that any device that connects through a VPN can benefit from the functionality, security and management of the private network.
Simply put, as the name implies, VPNs are a secure method of accessing the Internet and maintaining connection privacy.
This technology has grown exponentially in recent years thanks to external services or providers that offer, to users who decide to subscribe, all the necessary steps to establish a VPN.
Why is it so convenient to have a VPN?
We live in the age of connectivity. From multiple devices, we are all more or less in touch with the Internet.
With so much activity and so much web traffic, new needs arise.
Having a VPN means taking another step towards controlling your own cyber path.
Why hire the service?
Because its advantages are numerous:
- You can use your VPN from anywhere and from any device that is connected to the Internet.
- It is a safe and private way to send data or surf the Internet.
- The VPN is very easy to use and, once configured, you can quickly connect and disconnect. There are no secrets!
- You can access your network from anywhere and securely.
- The VPN will give security to the connections you make through public Wi-Fi networks.
Why is it safer to have a VPN service?
If you are concerned about computer privacy and security, having a VPN is a must.
Usually, every time you connect to the network through an Internet Service Provider (ISP), it connects you to any website you want to visit.
All your Internet traffic (“data”) passes through your ISP’s servers, so they are fully visible.
This means that all data traveling between your PC or smartphone and the VPN servers will be encrypted, so that only you and the VPN server can “see” it.
Most VPN providers maintain a strict “no record” policy, so none of your private data will be tracked, collected or disclosed by anyone.
What are the other benefits of a VPN besides security?
Security is not everything!
The reason why more and more users are signing up for VPN services goes beyond controlling your own web traffic and the footprints you leave behind when surfing the Internet.
In the table below we show you some main benefits for which VPN services are contracted:
How is a VPN server configured?
Once you contract your VPN service, the configuration is very easy.
Most providers take care of the installations automatically, but if this is not the case, anyone familiar with the use of smartphones and computers can do it.
Here is a detailed guide on how to do it, depending on your operating system:
- Open the Networking and Sharing Center.
- Click “Create a new connection”.
- Choose “Connect to a Network”.
- Fill in the information about the contracted server, the type of VPN and your user ID.
- Opens the computer options.
- Click on “Network and Internet”.
- Open the VPN section.
- Click “Add a VPN connection”.
- Fill in the server information, the type of VPN and your user ID.
- Go to “System Preferences” and click on “Network”.
- Click “Add (+)” at the bottom of the list of network services.
- Choose “VPN” from the interface drop-down menu.
- Fill in the requested settings (connection type and authentication).
- Install the network-manager-vpnc package by using the software manager specific to your distribution or the command line.
- In Ubuntu, select the network icon (the two arrows) on the top bar.
- Choose “VPN Connections – Configure VPN” from the drop-down menu.
- Click add (or import, if you have a configuration file).
- Follow the on-screen instructions to fill in the rest of the settings, such as the encryption type and your user ID.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Open the section “Wireless networks, network connections or similar”.
- VPN connections are located in the “Others” or “More Networks” section.
- Click the “VPN” section and click the “More (+)” button to create the connection.
- Fill in the name, type of VPN, server address and encryption.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Go to “General”.
- Go down to the section “VPN”.
- Click on “Add VPN configuration”.
- Select the tab of the type of VPN of your server and fill up the data of the server and user ID.
Why are VPNs popular in telework contexts?
Many organizations know that allowing access from anywhere to a company’s network is not secure, as an open Wi-Fi network could capture the password and let anyone in.
If the worker connects through a VPN, however, the connection is encrypted, and they will have access to the same information as if they were in the company.
What does it mean for a VPN to have a zero record policy?
The best VPN service providers have a zero record policy.
This means that the provider will not keep track of all your movements and tracks you leave behind when you browse after you hire them.
Zero records, including a set of data that you must make sure no one can access:
- IP address.
- DNS queries.
- Browsing history.
- Content you have accessed on the web.
- Temporary connection marks.
- Disconnection temporary marks.
- Duration of your session.
- Bandwidth usage.
- VPN servers you connect to.
Is it true that having a VPN slows down the Internet?
In many cases, it is a reality that VPNs often reduce the speed of the connection.
For some VPN services, the slowdown is so high that streaming video or other simple Internet activities, such as web browsing, are impossible.
Why is this?
There is no single, definitive cause.
It is an accumulation of factors:
- The location of the server you are connecting to.
- The load of the server and its quality.
- The type of encryption used by the VPN.
- The routing algorithms of the VPN.
To offer you the best service, providers use servers that are specially optimized for certain streaming platforms, such as Netflix, Hbo, Amazon Prime and YouTube.
The same with the applications you use from your cell phone.
In this sense, you should pay close attention to the quantity and quality of servers offered by each provider.
What does it mean that the VPN uses split tunneling?
Basic VPNs route all Internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel to protect your data from outside agents.
Split tunneling is a way to avoid certain types of situations that will harm your connection experience.
Do you want to know the advantages of this mode?
Read the following table:
Hiring a VPN service can open up a world of possibilities when it comes to connecting: from new content to telling you enough to application censorship.
And also, protecting what you want most: your privacy.
When choosing your VPN provider, however, you have to consider certain criteria to get the best possible service.
Here are some!
- High speed.
- Security protocol and free registration.
- Access to global content.
Using a VPN can slow down your connection speed because your data is encrypted and redirected through another server.
With some providers this is hardly noticeable, but some become really slow.
Make sure you choose a service that offers unlimited bandwidth and a sufficient number of fast servers optimized for what you’re looking for.
Security protocol and free registration
One of the main reasons for having a VPN is to make your connection as secure as possible, so don’t save on security.
Look for a service with 256-bit AES encryption (the industry standard) and ultra-secure protocols such as OpenVPN and IKEv2.
In addition, it is essential to choose a provider that has a strict policy of no data registration.
Access to global content
VPNs can avoid censorship and overcome geographic restrictions. But not everyone has the same ability to do so. Before hiring a VPN provider, think about the specific sites you want to access and research the service thoroughly to see if it is capable of doing so. Free trials are very useful in this regard.
With unlimited bandwidth, you can download and stream all the content you want.
This is important for you to browse popular services privately and securely, at high speeds and without content-based limitations.
Most users are looking for access to the following sites or applications:
- Amazon Prime Video
A VPN is a virtual private network that serves to encrypt your data every time you use the Internet.
Without it, when you browse, your data is passed from one server to another and can be intercepted and viewed by non-targeted third parties.
VPN technology creates a highly secure network that hides your IP address and guarantees the anonymity of your connection, protecting your privacy.
In addition to giving you an extra layer of security, VPN services allow you to access geographically blocked content, enable restricted streaming sites, and help you avoid web advertising, among other advantages.
The best providers have a zero-registration policy so you don’t leave a single personal footprint when you’re online.
If you liked the article, share it among your contacts so that others know everything there is to know about VPNs.
Many will probably need a more secure connection.
Also, if you want, you can leave us a comment that we will answer as soon as possible.
Thank you very much!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.