Some links on Wikicat may are paid links may earn us a commission. Read the Affiliate Policy disclosure for more info.
Virtual reality seems to be in a good place.
New applications are constantly being developed, whether they are professional or leisure-oriented.
At the same time, sales of VR devices continue to grow, no doubt spurred on by a considerable drop in prices.
And if the present is positive, the future looks even better.
All of this contributes to an increasingly varied offer of virtual reality headsets.
So you have many more options to choose from.
However, not all the devices you can find on the market offer the same levels of quality.
Nor are they all aimed at the same type of user.
- 1 The most important
- 2 The best VR headset on the market: our recommendations
- 3 Shopping Guide: What you need to know about VR headset
- 4 Purchase criteria
- 5 Summary
The most important
- Today, personal computers are undoubtedly the best platform to enjoy virtual reality.
- It is possible to distinguish three different types of virtual reality devices: virtual reality glasses for mobile phones, devices without processors and stand-alone virtual reality headsets.
- Some purchase criteria that can help you choose the VR headset that best suits your needs are: the use you are going to make of it, the image resolution and the comfort of use.
The best VR headset on the market: our recommendations
First, we would like to introduce you to the complete selection of virtual reality helmets that we have prepared for you.
We have prepared it to show you some of the best options available on the market today.
As it could not be otherwise, it is the result of a thorough and elaborate analysis of some of the most popular VR headset.
The VR headset for PlayStation 4
If you have a PlayStation 4 console and want to explore the possibilities of VR games, then the best option is to go for a branded headset.
This way, you can ensure perfect compatibility and get the quality that comes with the Sony brand name.
This headset doesn’t need to be pre-installed, just connect it and the PlayStation console will detect it immediately.
The screen is 5.7 inch (14.48 cm) OLED type with 1080 pixels resolution and can run at up to 120 fps (frames per second).
Where to buy
Buyers' favourite VR headset
With thousands of sales on the online market, there is no doubt that the buyers’ favorite VR headset is this model from Oculus.
Its popularity is due to the fact that it has a processor, so it works without depending on other equipment.
This headset is particularly suggested for those who do not want to depend on a console or computer to play in virtual reality.
It also includes a couple of drivers that you use in conjunction with the headset.
It is a game system by itself, with 128 GB of capacity to enjoy.
Where to buy
The most versatile VR headset
Samsung Electronics offers one of the most versatile VR devices you can find, offering the option to use in various games in the Windows library and has all the tools you need.
It’s a headset with a 3.5-inch AMOLED screen with 3K resolution.
The sound quality it offers is another aspect that stands out in comparison with other homologous models.
It comes with Samsung drivers with quick response.
It’s the set for you if you’re on a budget to buy a mid-range rig.
Where to buy
The most affordable VR headset
You may want a VR headset, but you’re on a tight budget.
In that case, don’t worry because BNext has a special offer for you.
It’s a very affordable headset that connects to smartphones and plays content from the device.
This headset is compatible with almost all cell phones that have a gyro sensor.
With this you can watch movies and videos in 360º and play video games.
The design is ergonomic and comfortable even after long use.
Where to buy
Shopping Guide: What you need to know about VR headset
Virtual reality is a relatively new technology, so many users are not yet familiar with it.
Thus, it is inevitable that when deciding which virtual reality headset to buy, some doubts will arise.
We have prepared this section so that you can solve them.
What exactly are VR headset?
VR headset are electronic devices in the form of a helmet or glasses that have a visor through which it is possible to visualize virtual environments in three dimensions.
This visor normally integrates a screen that reproduces computer-generated images and with which it is possible to create a sensation of total immersion.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of VR headset?
The virtual reality revolution is here.
So it’s not surprising that more and more people are betting on buying a VR device.
With them, it is possible to access a new way of training at home.
Do you want to know all the advantages they offer?
- There are a lot of models.
- They allow you to enjoy a much more immersive experience.
- More and more applications are available.
- They allow you to have an interactive experience.
- They can help sick people recover from illness.
- The price of some models is still a bit high.
- Excessive use may cause dizziness and nausea.
What types of VR headset or virtual reality glasses are there?
When it comes to enjoying virtual reality, you have different possibilities at your disposal.
Below, we summarize the three main ones.
- Virtual reality glasses for mobile phones: these are just a VR-shaped case that is placed in a compatible mobile phone, which acts as a screen. They are ideal for getting started in virtual reality, although their features are generally very basic. They are very economical.
- Processor-less devices: they have their own screen and their own sensors. However, they need to be connected to other equipment, such as a computer or a video game console. They allow you to enjoy an excellent experience in games and virtual reality applications. Their price is usually quite high.
- Stand-alone: All components are included. Thus, they come with a housing, processor, sensors and their own screen. They offer a superior experience to those of high-end virtual reality glasses for cell phones. The most popular are the virtual reality headset Oculus Go and Oculus Quest.
What games can be played with a VR headset?
More and more games are being launched to take advantage of the amazing possibilities offered by virtual reality.
And best of all, there are great options for all types of players, as VR can be adapted to all genres of video games.
Some of the most popular are the following:
- Batman: Arkham VR.
- Borderlands 2 VR.
- Rally DiRT.
- Doom VFR.
- Fallout 4 VR.
- Resident Evil 7.
- Star Wars Battlefront Rogue.
- One: Mission RV.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Which platform has the best VR headset?
- Today, personal computers are undoubtedly the best platform to enjoy virtual reality. There are many manufacturers offering high quality VR devices and a multitude of applications available. However, you will need a computer powerful enough at the graphic level to enjoy a truly immersive experience.
- In the case of consoles, the truth is that so far only Sony has made a firm commitment to this technology. Both Microsoft and Nintendo are one step behind. Finally, although the cell phone option is ideal for starting in virtual reality, the truth is that it falls somewhat short in terms of performance.
Having the right buying criteria can be a great help if you are determined to buy a virtual reality helmet and you are still not clear about which one suits you best.
Below, you can consult the ones we have chosen for you.
What are you going to do with the virtual reality headset
Obviously, depending on the use you are going to make of the VR headset, one model or another is more convenient.
Nowadays, its most common application is to play video games.
In that case, you should distinguish according to the gaming platform you are going to use it on. For example, the Playstation 4 has its own virtual reality headset, the PlayStation VR.
In the case of personal computers you have many more options. Among them are the proposals of Oculus and HTC.
You may also want the VR glasses for real estate applications, for virtual tours of museums or other types of virtual reality experiences.
In that case, you may want to use a pair of cell phone glasses.
Ergonomics and comfort
One of the aspects that, in some way, hinders a greater implementation of virtual reality is how uncomfortable some viewers can be.
This is especially inconvenient when used during long game sessions.
Therefore, more and more manufacturers are refining their designs to improve this aspect.
It is important that the glasses have foam around the mask that is comfortable and allows that area of the face to breathe better.
Otherwise, moisture can build up inside the mask with all the drawbacks that entails. It is also interesting that you choose a device that allows you to adjust the distance between your pupils and the distance to your face.
Resolution and refresh rate
The higher the resolution, the better the image quality, so objects will be much sharper.
This way, you’ll experience a greater sense of immersion.
When assessing this issue, you should consider whether the information provided by the manufacturer is on the total resolution or on each eye.
The ideal refresh rate or frequency is at least 90 Hz.
However, values from 70 Hz onwards may be sufficient if the game or application is not very visually demanding.
Lower refresh rates may cause nausea or dizziness, so they are not recommended at all.
Wired or wireless
Wireless virtual reality devices offer greater convenience.
This is the case with VR mobile phone glasses designed to fit certain smartphone models.
However, in general, if you want to enjoy better features and better image quality, you have to bet on a virtual reality headset for computer or console.
These devices typically connect via wired HDMI and USB connections, although some models have wireless adapters.
However, their price is usually quite high, so they are not available to all users.
This is the case with the Oculus Quest stand-alone, cable-free virtual reality system.
Virtual reality technology is becoming increasingly popular and developed.
It is undoubtedly in the field of video games that its use is becoming more widespread.
However, it also has interesting applications in the fields of education, culture, medicine and entertainment, among others.
The PC is the main platform to enjoy its amazing possibilities.
However, devices designed to integrate virtual reality into mobile phones are an excellent and economical way to get started with this technology.
As far as consoles are concerned, it is Sony who seems to be more determined to bet strongly on their integration into Playstation 4.
To finish, if you think this guide has been helpful in your choice process, you can write us a comment or share it through the different social networks.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.