Some links on Wikicat may are paid links may earn us a commission. Read the Affiliate Policy disclosure for more info.
RAM memory has a fundamental influence on the performance of a computer, whether it is a desktop computer, a laptop, a cell phone or a video game console.
In the end, it stores the information used by the different programs that are running at a given time.
Hence, the importance of having one with sufficient capacity.
However, that’s not the only issue you have to take into account when choosing a RAM memory to update your computer’s or to set up your own computer.
There are different types of RAM memory modules.
To begin with, we must distinguish between those designed for laptops and those designed for desktops.
- 1 The most important
- 2 The best RAM on the market: our recommendations
- 3 Shopping Guide: What you should know about RAM
- 4 Purchase criteria
- 5 Summary
The most important
- On any device, RAM plays a major role. In it, the information used by the different programs that are being executed are temporarily stored.
- There are several types of RAM memory. On the one hand, there are those designed for laptops and, on the other, those designed for desktop computers. In addition, we must distinguish between the different standards: DDR2, DDR3, DDR4 and DDR5.
- The main purchase criterion when choosing a RAM memory is its amount of memory. In addition, you should also take into account its frequency, latency and number of channels.
The best RAM on the market: our recommendations
As you could read in the introduction, there are different types of RAM, which we will mention later.
If you are looking for a memory that will increase the capacity of your device or computer, you have come to the right place, we have compiled the best RAM memory on the market so that you can choose the most suitable one.
Let’s get started!
- The most valued RAM memory.
- Best-selling RAM.
- The best RAM for Mac.
- The fastest RAM memory.
The most valued RAM memory
If you are looking for the best memory, then take the Crucial brand 8 GB DDR3 and enjoy all its benefits.
Its storage capacity will help you greatly to perform multitasking, so you can run several programs at once.
It uses a voltage for notebook or laptop of 135 V / 15 V.
The device is very easy to install: you only need a screwdriver, its user’s manual and a few minutes to do it.
Where to buy
Purchase the incredible 8 GB RAM pack, with which you can get 16 GB of capacity to perform your favorite functions.
It has been designed to support high performance overclocking.
The equipment will allow you to obtain a great power and speed of SPD of 2,133 mHz.
It is compatible with Intel 100, 200 and 300 Series, as well as with Intel X299.
Your “computer will work at a great temperature due to its constant ventilation.
Where to buy
The best RAM for Mac
Due to the memory requirements, quite specific to a Mac, it is necessary to have a RAM.
Your ideal choice will be the Crucial brand memory, because it has more than ten years of experience in the market.
The team has passed all tests applied in terms of product quality and safety.
Take the incredible pack of 2 RAM memories at an estimated price of 80 USD and up.
Where to buy
The fastest RAM memory
Make your PC much faster with Crucial’s RAM, which is not only easy to install, but will speed up your computing like never before
It gives you speeds of up to 3,200 MT /s. It will also be able to increase your bandwidth by up to 30%.
Something you will love about this equipment is that it also offers you excellent energy savings, since you will be able to save up to 40% in light consumption and prolong its duration.
Where to buy
Shopping Guide: What you should know about RAM
If you’re having trouble running certain programs, you may need to expand or upgrade your RAM.
However, before buying a new memory module, it is important that you are clear about which one suits you best.
We have prepared this section so that you can get rid of any doubts.
What is RAM memory?
Random Access Memory (RAM) is the main memory of a device.
Its function is to temporarily store the information used by the different programs that the system is using at a given time.
It is characterized by its high speed and because the information is erased every time the computer is turned off or restarted.
What is RAM memory for?
The RAM memory facilitates quick access to the necessary data for optimal operation of the equipment.
Thus, it is of fundamental importance when opening several programs at the same time or very demanding programs.
If the computer does not have enough RAM, its performance is affected and goes much slower.
This is why it is often referred to as working memory.
What are the advantages of expanding a computer's RAM?
Having enough RAM memory is key for a computer to run smoothly.
That’s why many users choose to invest in expanding or upgrading it to improve the performance of their systems.
Below, we list the main advantages of doing so.
- It improves the performance of the computer when running several programs simultaneously.
- It allows you to enjoy a better, faster and more fluid web navigation.
- Reduces loading times of flash or HTML5 content.
- It will allow you to run programs and games that were previously not compatible with your computer.
What types of RAM memory are there?
Broadly speaking, two types of RAM can be distinguished according to their size: RAM DIMM (Dual In-line Memory Module) and SODIMM (Small Outline Dual In-line Memory Module).
In the following table, we explain their main differences.
What RAM standards exist?
The RAM memories also differ according to the standard to which they belong.
Each new generation offers superior performance and greater energy efficiency.
However, the standard you can install in your computer will be determined by its motherboard.
In any case, the three most recent ones are the following:
- DDR3: Whose commercialization began in 2007. They have data rates of up to 2,133 MB/s (megabytes per second) and maximum transfer rates of up to 17 GB/s (gigabytes per second). They reach up to 8 GB per module.
- DDR4: Whose appearance took place in 2014. They are, without a doubt, the most widespread. They present data rates that can be up to 3.2 GB/s, and maximum transfer rates of 25.6 GB/s. They reach up to 32 GB per module.
- DDR5: Which is expected to be commercialized throughout the year 2020. Its announced data rates are up to 6.4 GB/s and maximum transfer rates of 51.2 GB/s.
Choosing a good RAM memory will allow you to improve the overall performance of your computer.
In order to find the right one, it is convenient that you take into account some purchase criteria.
The most important ones are the following:
- Amount of memory.
- Speed or frequency.
- Number of channels.
Amount of memory
If a game or a program asks for 8 GB of RAM and your computer has a 4 GB module at 3 GHz (gigahertz), you will not be able to move it or it will not move it optimally.
However, if you have 8 GB at 1666 MHz, it will do so without any problem.
That’s why the amount of memory should be your first and most important purchase criterion.
In any case, the amount you will need will depend on the use you are going to make of the equipment.
Here are some guidelines for this.
- For computers with Linux and that are going to be used as multimedia centers, you can have enough with 2 GB.
- To use Office in Windows 10, surf the Internet and play some games from a few years ago, you will need 4 GB. However, don’t expect good performance in multitasking.
- To move easily through various applications such as Office, various browser tabs or programs like Photoshop, you have more than enough with 8 GB. In fact, it is the current standard for a new computer. It is also enough to play most games with good performance.
- To get the most out of your computer in games and graphic design applications, especially if you need to run several at once, you need 16 GB. Moreover, it is said that with the output of the new generation consoles, this will become the standard value for playing the next releases.
Speed or frequency
The speed marks how fast a RAM memory can work, so a higher speed will allow transfers to be made in less time.
In short, the operations of storing, deleting and restoring information will be carried out more quickly.
In certain cases, it can make a big difference in memory performance.
The speed is expressed in megahertz (MHz), as it reflects the number of cycles per second that the RAM can complete.
Anyway, it is not always worth buying RAM with a very high frequency.
And, before doing so, you have to make sure that it is compatible with the processor and chipset on your PC’s motherboard.
The latency of a RAM memory is the time that passes from the moment it receives an order from the processor to the moment it executes it.
It is measured in nanoseconds, and it affects its performance and working capacity.
An average user should not worry too much about this aspect.
However, if you are a pro gamer you might want to take this into account.
Number of channels
Today, most of the RAM on the market is dual-channel.
This way, two memory modules are connected to the motherboard.
This offers important advantages, especially if your computer does not have a dedicated graphics card.
When this happens the integrated graphics often has to resort to RAM as graphics memory.
In that case, having two channels considerably increases the system’s performance.
Current higher range memory supports configurations of three, four or even more channels.
However, in general, an average user has more than enough to install a set of dual-channel RAM.
RAM overclocking consists of adjusting it to reach higher speeds than it offers by default.
However, a bad configuration can damage the memory.
Therefore, to make it easier for you, many of the current RAM memories come with preconfigured settings so that you can overclock without putting your computer at risk.
You may want to do this if you want the computer to play games, as it will allow you to gain performance at zero cost.
However, you should bear in mind that overclocking RAM memory is the most complicated of all.
If you use the computer for office automation or web browsing, do not worry because in no case will you need to overclock the RAM.
The processor and RAM memory are the two components that most influence the performance of a computer.
Fortunately, in recent years, the price of memory modules has been reduced considerably.
So, whether you need to upgrade your computer or you are thinking of getting a new one, you are in luck.
However, in order to choose a RAM memory you must evaluate aspects such as the amount of memory you need, its speed, its latency and the number of channels, among others.
In addition, it is essential that you take into account the computer you are going to install it in and its compatibility with the rest of the components, mainly with the motherboard and the processor.
Finally, if the article has been useful to you, please do not hesitate to leave us a comment with your opinion or share it through the different social networks.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.