Last Updated on
Cloudflare is a CDN by Cloudflare, Inc.
Actually Cloudflare provides high-security protection and firewalls (WAF) for business websites.
Cloudflare CDN is one of the most used in the world.
A Content Delivery Network (in short CDN) is a service that provides files but rapidly because is located on multiple servers on the world.
Cloudflare became the most used CDN because of its free plan that I really need to say that it is really good.
Is Cloudflare fully compatible with WordPress
Cloudflare is 100% fully compatible with WordPress.
Cloudflare default settings are not the best.
But I recommend my full step-by-step guide to use page rules Cloudflare on WordPress to resolve serious issues.
How Cloudflare works?
When registering a Cloudflare account, Cloudflare will ask you the URL of the website you want to use Cloudflare.
Cloudflare automatically will detect the default DNS of this website, all you need to do is change the default DNS settings to Cloudflare DNSs.
Cloudflare “hijack” your website and serve via Cloudflare servers.
Everything crosses your site is first crossed by Cloudflare servers and DNSs.
Should I use Cloudflare in WordPress
If you are using a hosting provider that uses a built-in CDN then Cloudflare is no longer needed.
But usually, all hosting providers work with Cloudflare.
Some hosting providers like Siteground by default have settings for Cloudflare
By using Cloudflare in WordPress you will have:
- Better and fastest page speed.
- Ultimate firewall and security.
- Server cache.
- Free SSL up to 10+ years (for internal) and 2-years auto-renewed.
- HTML, JS, CSS optimization.
- AMP rules and settings.
- Best DNS around the world.
- and more.
Caching compatibility issues with WordPress chacing plugins
Some cache and optimization plugins have several conflicts with Cloudflare
Not all cache plugins are fully compatible with Cloudflare, but WP Rocket is 100& compatible with Cloudflare.
Benefits of Cloudflare Free in WordPress
Cloudflare free plan actually provides:
- Content Delivery Network (CDN). Across 75+ counties.
- Website optimization. Cloudflare provides good website auto-optimization like HTML, JS, and CSS minification, HTTP/2, Brotli, and GZIP.
- DNS. Best DNS ever built on the world, one of the best, secure, fast, and trusted DNS on the world. Cloudflare runs the largest DNS on the world.
- DNSSEC. It guarantees the website traffic routed to the correct so that the visitor isn’t intercepted by a man-in-the-middle attacker.
- Firewall (WAF). Cloudflare’s Firewall is the most trusted Firewall on the web also used by big companies. Cloudflare’s Firewall protects against DDoS attacks and can be personalized with the page rules.
- SSL/TLS. Cloudflare provides SSL/TLS certificates for free. Cloudflare also provides an SSL certificate that can be installed in the server (between your hosting provider and Cloudflare), in that way all is fully encrypted.
By using Cloudflare it also groove your ranking on Google.
What about Google and SEO?
Look, search engine results are also based on the rapidly of your website.
Speed is a ranking factor.
If your website is fast, Google and other search engines will rank your website properly.
No more SPAM!
Some robots job is not craw but SPAM you by sending strange and phishing e-mails.
Very annoying 😠.
Thankfully, Cloudflare encrypts e-mails to robots and spiders that crawl your website.
What about KeyCDN and other CDN?
I use KeyCDN with Cloudflare and I see that the page speed improved a lot.
Cloudflare doesn’t like when another CDN is used at the same time but it is not what Cloudflare says, there are the facts.
The point of using more than one CDN is that is difficult to implement.
And it can also slow your WordPress site because of DNS Lookups and more.
I recommend using Cloudflare alone or with one CDN like KeyCDN or MaxCDN.
Sucuri also provides its CDN but I totally prefer KeyCDN.
Problems when using Cloudflare with other CDNs
If you are using Cloudflare with another CDN you may see that the site doesn’t load well on Mobile and Tablet.
That’s happened because the browsers won’t load insecure content when the page loads.
All you need to do is use a Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate (that is free).
I hope I helped you with this article.
Thanks for reading, remember to share this article with your friends or via your preferred social networks.
That’s all I know for now.